The Mattapoisett Road Race Committee, chaired by Bill Tilden, recently met to continue preparations for its 44th July 4 road race.
There are several highlights for this year’s five-mile race. Included are:
- New lightweight T-shirts guaranteed for first 750 runners;
- “Future Runner” T-shirts for children on sale race day (sizes 2-4T, 5-6, 7);
- Most-spirited spectator site along the race route recognized (honors have previously gone to the Kassabian and Dall families);
- Contest for ORRHS students to design the road race poster that is displayed throughout the area; and
- Harpoon Harmonizers beginning the day with song.
Throughout the history of the race, the Race Committee has given over $200,000 in awards to Tri-Town students who have been involved in running. Proceeds from this year’s race will go to ORRHS senior athletes. Award recipients in 2013 were Alexandra Saccone, Luke Mattar, Meagan Bell, Nick Pacheco of Marion; Abigail Hiller, Fredric Murolo, Alex Milde, Janice Weldon, Brian Tranfaglia of Mattapoisett; and Hannah Weeks from Rochester.
From elite runners, to exercise runners, to holiday cookout runners, to family runners, this race appeals to people from all age groups. Competitive runners hail from throughout New England and beyond. The five-mile course records of 25:02 for men and 29:32 for women attest to the quality of the competition. This spirit is reflected in the increasing number of runners who have run for over four decades!
For more information and to register for this year’s Independence Day race, go to www.mattapoisettroadrace.com or like us on Facebook.