• Mites 1: The Mite 1 team continues their undefeated season, having posted double-digit scores in every single cross-ice game. Meanwhile, the defensive play led by goalie Megan Craig held opponents to single-digit tallies.
• Squirts 1: The Gateway Ice Wolves participated in the Falmouth Fall Classic this weekend, finishing 1-2. In their first game it came down to the third period, as the game was scoreless through 2 periods. The final score was 2-1 in the loss. Alex DeMarco had a strong game in net, keeping the Ice Wolves in the game. Chris Gauvin, assisted by Quirino doCanto, scored the lone goal.
In game two, the Ice Wolves snuck by the host team 2-0. Once again, Alex DeMarco had an amazing game in net, earning a shutout. The Ice Wolves defense, Bryan Gallagher, Kaleb Riggle, Jack Martins and Ben DeMoranville, were definitely a key to the victory. Quirino doCanto and Chris Gauvin each had a goal while Tyler Lovendale assisted on both goals.
The third game was a one-sided game as the Ice Wolves seemed to have run out of gas. The score was 7-0, but not due to lack of effort by Alex DeMarco. If it weren’t for his outstanding performance, the score could have been worse. It was a great showing for Gateway Youth Hockey in the tournament.
• Squirts 2: The Gateway Sharks lost their game to the Dennis Yarmouth Waves this weekend with a score of 0-2. The score alone doesn’t reflect the effort put in by the team to hold the tough and often more dominant opponent to only two goals. Goalie Alex DeMarco saw even more shots on net than usual and was certainly assisted by the rest of the team, who were in a defensive posture for the majority of the game.
• Pee Wees: The Gateway Gladiators Pee Wee team was blanked on their Saturday trip to Nantucket, 9-0 and 7-0. The Pee Wee team worked hard against the smooth-skating islanders but couldn’t secure more than a handful of shots on goal while forcing their own goalies to deal with Nantucket, spending most of both games in their own end.
On Sunday, the team suffered its 4th straight loss. Yarmouth-Dennis defeated the Gladiators, 5-3. Gateway registered goals from Noah Demoranville, Jackson St. Don and Zack Lovendale.
• Bantams: On Saturday, the Gateway Bantams squared off against Barnstable at Gallo Arena and came out on top by the score of 5-1. Barnstable took a quick lead in the first period, sneaking one by Gateway goaltender Tegan Andre. In the second period, Alex Atkinson tied it up with an assist from Brady Smith. Then it was all Will Paling, scoring his first hat trick of the year and then adding one more for a total of four for the day. Doug Breault had three assists on the day. A.J. Bridges finished in net for Gateway, allowing no goals to get by him.