2nd Annual Gateway Winter Classic

Mites 1

It was a hockey filled weekend for the Mite 1 team which saw a ton of ice time during Friday and Saturday. After trouncing their first opponent 7-0, the Mite 1 team advanced to the championship game of the 2nd Annual Gateway Winter Classic at Tabor Academy. The championship game was a nail-biter that they lost by one point in something not often seen at the Mite level — a shoot-out! The team left that game and zoomed down to South Dennis where they faced the Waves. The Mite 1s rallied back from the emotional loss by scoring early and often on the Waves, including a time when Juni Suarez won the face-off, skirted around the defense, and put the puck in the back of the net. Meghan Craig earned the shut-out in this game.

Squirt 1

In what was supposed to be a weekend off, the IceWolves ended up winning the Championship of the . They won their first game 4-1 against the Boston Bandits Quirino doCanto scoring 3 goals and Chris Gauvin scoring 1. In the second game against the Canal Sharks, the Ice Wolves won 8-0. Both Jack Martins and Julia Elicier netted hat tricks and Seth Tomasik and Elsie Buckley had a goal each. In the Championship Game, it was a rematch against the Boston Bandits. Once again the Ice Wolves prevailed with a 5-3 victory over the highly touted Bandits team. Quirino doCanto had another hat trick and Tyler Lovendale rounded out the scoring with 2 goals himself. It was a great win for the Ice Wolves, but an even bigger win for the Gateway Youth Hockey Program.

Squirts 2

The Gateway Sharks had plenty of hockey this weekend and didn’t disappoint the fans. The Sharks played two Winter Classic Tournament games and split the pair of games with one win and one loss. The win against the Canal Sharks was a well-played competitive game with goals by Danny Flynn and Jack Martins.

The two Cape & Islands league games were against the Dennis Yarmouth Waves and the Dennis Yarmouth Dolphins. The often dominant Waves earned a compelling 5 – 0 victory against the Sharks, but once again, our team remained composed and played hard to the bitter end. The fourth and final game of the weekend, against the Dolphins, resulted in a 2 – 0 win for Gateway with a 1st period goal by Stephen Old and a 3rd period goal by Jack Martins. Goalie, Thomas Galavotti, earned the shut-out and was supported by the entire team who played a great game of hockey with excellent positioning and aggressive fighting for the puck.


The Gateway Gladiators got their only goal of Sunday’s game from Zack Lovendale, as the home team finished 2012 with a 6-1 loss to the Lower Cape Coyote (Fancy) team. Both Gladiator goalies had a tough time protecting the top corners of the net from Coyote snipers. Though the Gladiators won many individual battles for possession of the puck, their skaters were not able to manage many shots of their own.


The Gateway Bantams kept the winning streak alive as they defeated Barnstable Saturday by the score of 4-2. Gateway took a quick lead early with a great pass from Alex Atkinson to Brady Smith who let it rip and got it by the Barnstable goal tender. AJ Bridges was seeing some action in net from Barnstable and had some great saves. Gateway went up another goal as Mat St.John took one away from a Barnstable forward heading to the net and took it all the way down the ice to bring Gateway up by two goals.
Will Paling was fighting hard digging out the puck in the opponent end and finally managed to tuck one by the goalie to make it three goals for Gateway. Barnstable put in two power play goals, but again it was Mat St.John maneuvering through many red Barnstable shirts to take it down the ice again and dump it in the Net to give Gateway the lead and win. Tegan Andre replaced AJ. Bridges midway in net and was also outstanding.

Middle School

The Wareham Vikings were victorious vs. Walpole on Friday 12/28 at Rayham CDL. Mike Houdlette took control of the game early with a goal on a breakaway to start the first period. Strong Wareham defense and outstanding goaltending from Chase Cunningham kept Walpole out of the net. Sean Kelso had a goal to finish out the period with assists from Matt Maloney and Kaitlyn Kelley.
Houdlette started off the second period again with a goal and an assist from Wil Paling. The Vikings kept up the good work, and midway through the second period Cunningham ended his shift with a shutout. In a nearly penalty-free game, the Vikings kept up a steady assault on Walpole. Connor Kelley scored with just 3 seconds left to end the second, bringing the score to 4-0.
At the beginning of the third, Walpole snuck one by goalie Teaghin Andre to get on the board, but that was the last time they saw it as the Vikings stayed solid, ending the game 4-1.

Leave A Comment...