As if the blizzard on the previous two days wasn’t enough, the aftermath of the storm caused continued problems for one Mattapoisett family. At just before 9:00 pm on Sunday, February 10, the Mattapoisett Fire Department was called to Crystal Springs Road for a structure fire which eventually destroyed the home.
“We were behind the eight ball from the start due to the conditions,” reported Deputy Chief Walter Morgado of the Mattapoisett Fire Department. Road condition, icy surfaces and frozen hoses were just some of the difficulties faced by the department.
The fire, which is believed to have started in the chimney and broken out due to aged and porous masonry, spread into the partition and roof of the home. With the region-wide loss of power, many residents have turned to alternative heating methods, leading to similar problems throughout the area.
The occupants of the home were evacuated from the house safely. Only one injury was reported which was a firefighter who fell due to the icy condition and injured his knee.
The Mattapoisett Fire Department was on scene until 4:30 am on Monday and the Marion, Rochester and Fairhaven Fire Departments assisted them in their efforts.
By Paul Lopes
Photos by Charles Hutchison, Artisan Ingenuity Photo