The Mattapoisett Land Trust is seeking applicants for their one thousand dollar ‘”Blanche B. Perry Scholarship”. This award is available to a Mattapoisett resident interested in the field of Environmental Studies, Sciences, Technology or a related field, and is a graduating senior from a secondary school by June 2018. The scholarship is made available through the Edith Glick Shoolman fund, a bequest left to provide support for children in the community. Offering this scholarship is consistent with the mission “of preserving land in order to enrich the quality of life for present and future generations of Mattapoisett residents and visitors”.
Along with the application, the following additional information is required:
- A Personal Statement about career goals as they relate to the mission of the MLT, past and present.
- A signed Community Service Form documenting a minimum of 20 hours of community service.
- Professional letter of reference (teacher or guidance counselor)
- A Character letter of reference from an employer, scout or community leader and or neighbor is required.
- Official school transcript including credits and class rank.
Applicants will be assessed according to academic achievement, personal statement, professional and personal references, community service, and financial need. Preference will be given to individuals who are members of the Mattapoisett Land Trust or whose parents or grandparents are members of the MLT.
Participating School are:
- ORRHS Marion Road, Mattapoisett 02739.
- Bishop Stang High School 500 Slocum Rd, N Dartmouth 02747.
- OCRVT High School 476 North Avenue, Rochester MA 02770.
- Tabor Academy Front St Marion, MA 02738.
The deadline for submitting the forms will be May 1, 2018. The recipient will be selected by May 20, 2018 and will be notified by mail. The recipient will be recognized at his or her school’s awards ceremony. The award will be disbursed after the student submits an official college transcript documenting a successful completion of his or her first semester in college to the President of the Mattapoisett Land Trust.
The application forms will be found in the guidance offices at the local public and private schools and at the Mattapoisett Land Trust website: