The Marion Art Center will hold open auditions for its upcoming spring production of Barefoot in the Park by Neil Simon. The play is a wistful, domestic comedy set in 1960s Manhattan, like the 1967 movie bearing the same name and featuring Robert Redford and Jane Fonda. Auditions will be held Friday, December 1 from 5:30 to 7:30 pm and Saturday, December 2 from 4:00 to 6:00 pm, at the Marion Art Center, 80 Pleasant Street in Marion, MA. Production dates will be March 16, 17, 18, 22, 23, and 24. Auditioning actors should be prepared to read from a provided script.
For the cast, the Marion Art Center is seeking six actors, as follows:
– Corie Bratter: (Female – Age range 20-30). Carefree newlywed, busily trying to set up and decorate the new home she shares with her husband, Paul. Flighty, or over-enthusiastic, but not a fool.
– Paul Bratter: (Male – Age range 25-35). Corie’s husband, a young lawyer with a dry wit. Conventional. Wants to be a good husband by being a good provider. Very much in love with Corie. Matter of fact, but never cold.
– Ethel Banks: (Female – Age range 40-65). Corie’s cautious mother who will endure anything for her daughter. Ethel lives alone and struggles to find her role with Corie out of the nest. Sharp, with a good, dry wit of her own.
– Victor Velasco: (Male – Age range 40-60). The eccentric, bohemian neighbor who lives in the attic of the brownstone. Fancies himself a lady’s man, very charming.
– Telephone Installer: (Male or Female – age range 30-60). Good-humored, makes observations on everyday life and relationships as he installs telephones.
– Delivery Person: (Male or Female – age range 55 and up) Non-speaking character role, very funny bit. An older person who delivers packages and is exhausted by all the flights of stairs.
This production, presented by special arrangement with Samuel French, Inc., will be directed by Pippa Asker. Rehearsals will begin the first week in January. For more information, call 508-748-1266.