An effort to bring bike rental to Mattapoisett has been successful. The Town’s recent approval of VeoRides’ proposal for a pilot program has resulted in 30 bikes placed in six strategic locations. These bikes are available for public use. The locations are shown on the downloadable app. Any one using the bikes should read the VeoRides user agreement fully. But here are the basics:
-You need a smart phone and a credit card.
-One phone only unlocks one bike. You can’t use one phone to unlock multiple bikes.
-Age 13 and older are allowed to use the bikes.
-Helmets recommended. The Town is working on making loaners available NOTE: state law requires all cyclists 15 and younger to wear helmets.
– To access the bikes, download the app and put a few dollars in your account to start. Once you unlock the bike, it will draw from your account in 50 cent increments every 15 minutes.
– One-way riding is allowed. Just make sure:
1) You lock the bike when you are done (or it will keep charging you)
2) Park it where someone from the general public can see it and don’t block driveways or sidewalks or entries. Parking it near other bikes is helpful.
3) You can only ride in Fairhaven and Mattapoisett.
– If you haven’t been on a bike in a while, practice in a parking lot first.
– Each one teach one – if you see someone interested in them, please explain how it works.