Bid farewell to 2015 and ring in the New Year in New Bedford with City Celebrates New Year’s Eve FREE programming from 5:00 – 8:30 pm!
New Bedford area residents and visitors are invited to enjoy an evening full of free family-friendly programming on New Year’s Eve in Downtown New Bedford’s Seaport Cultural District to bid farewell to 2015 and ring in the New Year!
Festivities will commence at 5:00 pm on Thursday, December 31 with an Ecumenical Service at the Seamen’s Bethel, followed by entertainment by harpist Eva Macfarlane from 6:30 – 7:30 pm.
Program highlights throughout the evening include:
– The best Toe Jam Puppet Band concerts at 5:30, 6:30 & 7:30 pm at the YMCA!
– Youth Celebration hosted by AHA! Featuring Youth Orchestra String Quartet, 3rd EyE Cypher, – Dream Out Loud Singers & other local musicians, 5:00 – 8:00 pm in the Zeiterion Penler Space
– Reception commemorating the 1874 visit of his majesty David Kalakaua, King of Hawaii, in the
Ashley Room at City Hall, 5:30 – 7:30 pm
– Amazing street performers, stilt walkers, jugglers & fire-eaters with Overhead Arts & Cirque de Light
– Family Magic Workshop with Jedlie’s Magic Circus, 5:30 & 6:30 pm, at NBAM/Artworks!
– Music with DJ Anghelli in Wings Court, 5:00 – 8:00 pm
– Zoo Mobile crafts from the Buttonwood Park Zoo at the YMCA
– Ensemble Events Photo Booth at New Bedford Art Museum, 5:00 – 7:30 pm
– Bill Harley, children’s entertainer and storyteller, at the Whaling Museum, 5:30 – 6:30pm
– And so much more.
New Bedford’s New Year’s Eve festivities will culminate with a spectacular fireworks display on the waterfront at 8:30 pm.
NOTE: A cargo ship will be at state pier. Fireworks viewing will NOT be allowed on the east face of state pier on New Year’s Eve. Instead, fireworks viewers are encouraged to watch from lower Union Street which we have blocked off at Rte. 18 & Union, Union Street to N. Water Street. Listen to the sounds of African Band Kekeli at Pier 37 during the fireworks display.
For more information and a complete list of New Year’s Eve events, visit www.DestinationNewBedford.org/holidays
City Celebrates New Year’s Eve is presented by the City of New Bedford, Mayor Jon Mitchell, in collaboration with AHA!, Port of New Bedford, Destination New Bedford, and Downtown New Bedford, Inc. Events sponsored by Bristol County Savings Bank. Barge provided by Tucker Roy Marine Towing and Salvage, Inc. Fireworks partners include New Bedford Whaling Museum & AGM Marine Contractors.
Local Partners include NB Beautiful, Parks and Recreation, The Zeiterion Performing Arts Center, Buttonwood Park Zoo, UMass Dartmouth CVPA, New Bedford Whaling Museum, YMCA of Southeastern MA, New Bedford Art Museum/Artworks!, New Bedford Whaling National Historical Park, New Bedford Symphony Orchestra & New Bedford Cultural Council.