Whether you are looking in the field of technology, biology and/or enviromental education, your career pursuit will require support and that is why, for the fifth year in a row, The Mattapoisett Land Trust is looking to select a qualifying candidate for the $1000 “Blanche B. Perry Scholarship Award.” This award is available to a resident senior, graduating by June 2014 from secondary school and pursuing an education in the sciences and/ or environmental studies or a related field. The scholarship is made available through the Edith Glick Shoolman fund, a bequest left to provide support for children in the community. The scholarship is consistent with the Mattapoisett Land Trust’s mission “of preserving land in order to enrich the quality of life for present and future generations of Mattapoisett residents and visitors and of furthering environmental education in the community”.
Along with the application, the following additional information is required:
1. A Personal Statement about career goals as they relate to the mission of the MLT, past and present.
2. A signed Community Service Form documenting a minimum of 20 hours of community service.
3. Professional letter of reference from a teacher or guidance counselor.
4. A Character letter of reference from an employer, scout or community leader and or neighbor is required.
5. Official school transcript including credits and class rank.
The application forms will be found in the guidance offices at the local public and private schools or at the Mattapoisett Land Trust website, http://www.mattlandtrust.org/education/
Participating schools are:
1. ORRHS, Marion Road, Mattapoisett 02739
2. Bishop Stang High School, 500 Slocum Rd, N Dartmouth 02747
3. OCRVT High School, 476 North Avenue, Rochester MA 02770
4. Tabor Academy, Front St, Marion, MA 02738
The deadline for submitting the forms will be April 24, 2014. Applicants will be assessed according to academic achievement, pursuit of education in the sciences and/ or environmental studies or a related field, personal statement, professional and personal references, community service, and financial need. Preference will be given to individuals who are members of the Mattapoisett Land Trust or whose parents or grandparents are members of the MLT.
The recipient will be selected by May 18, 2014 and will be notified by mail. The recipient will be recognized at his or her school’s awards ceremony. The award will be disbursed after the student submits to the President of the Mattapoisett Land Trust an official college transcript documenting a successful completion of his or her first semester in college.
For more information, contact the MLT at: Mattapoisett Land Trust, ATTN: Education Committee. P.O. Box 31, Mattapoisett, MA 02739 or by email at: email@example.com.