On Monday, August 13, the Marion Concert Band continues its Monday evening concert series with a program of American popular music. The program is as follows:
• National Anthem
• The Thunderer – J. P. Sousa
• Princess of India – K. L. King
• Concerto for Bassoon – W. Mozart (Liana Ascolese, bassoon)
• Carnival of Melody – arr. R. Hawkins
• New York: 1927 – W. Barker
• Satchmo! – T. Ricketts
• Big Band Signatures – arr. J. Higgins
• Sinatra! – arr. Stephen Bulla
• Smoke Gets in Your Eyes – J. Kern
• A Salute to American Jazz – S. Nestico
• Pop and Rock Legends: The Association – arr. T. Ricketts
• The Stars and Stripes Forever – J. P. Sousa
Liana Ascolese, bassoon soloist, is a 2012 graduate of Seekonk High School. She has performed with both the Massachusetts All-State Band and All-State Orchestra. She has been a member of the Rhode Island Philharmonic Youth Orchestra and the Boston Symphony Youth Orchestra. In the fall she will be attending the University of Massachusetts Amherst.
The concert, under the direction of Tobias Monte, will begin at 7:30 pm at the Robert Broomhead Bandstand, Island Wharf off Front Street in Marion. All concerts are free and open to the public.